I finally have a date for broadcast of the Marco Polo films! Tune in to Arte at 7.55pm for five consecutive nights from Monday to Friday Jan 3-7.
The idea of the programe is to try to retrace the route of Marco Polo's 13th-century trip from Venice to Xanadu (Beijing), following as closely as possible Polo's original route while reinterpreting the spirit of his book by seeking out the kinds of things Polo was most interested in.
The film sees me mining for oltu tash stone in Turkey, tracking down an underground rock band in Tehran, on patrol with ISAF troops in Afghanistan, visitng the lapis mines of Badakhshan, flying over the desert oasis of Dunhuang in a microlite and fishing with cormorants in eastern China, all the time hitchhiking on trucks, buses and trains across Asia.
The Arte broadcast is in French, with further broadcasts on German channel SWR and then other German public television channels throughout summer 2010.
Current Favourite Sounds (click on them to hear)
- Daughter - The Wild Youth
- The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
- Peter Gabriel - New Blood
- Sera Cahoone - Deer Creek Canyon
- The Head & the Heart - The Head and the Heart
- Gillian Welch - The Harrow & the Harvest
- The Tiger Lillies
- The Decemberists - The King is Dead
- Angus & Julia Stone - Down the Way
- Ethiopiques - The Very Best Of
- Tabu Ley Rochereau - The Voice of Lightness: Congo Classics 1961-1977
- Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
- Choying Drolma - Cho
- A Single Man Soundtrack
- Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
- Sigur Ros - ()
- Kate Rusby - Sleepless
- Elegy - Soundtrack
- Yuck - Yuck
- Eric Agyeman - West African Gold