Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Best Detours off the Everest Base Camp Trek

If you are thinking of trekking in the Everest region, then I suggest you check out this photo article I just wrote for Lonely Planet. Included are ten of my favourite detours off the main Everest trekking trail, places that you'll likely have completely to yourself, if you don't mind putting in a bit of leg work to get there. Most are just an hour or two's walk off the main trail, while some involve a full day trip.

My advice is to budget three or four extra days to your trek to include these babies. They may end up being the highlights of your trek. Just make sure you are fit and acclimatised and that your lodge owner or guide knows where you are going. Be safe.

Top Ten Detours off the Everest Trek

 

3 comments:

  1. Bradley. I just read through your 'best detours' article. It was terrific. I'm doing the EBC trek in October, and wanted to get a bit of advice from you if I could. Is it best to do the Ama Dablum side trip on the way down from EBC? If so, what village do I leave from? Dingboche? Any other tips to keep in mind on that side trip would be appreciated. Also, outside of Gokyo, are there any other really picturesque (clear blue) lakes to visit along the EBC trek? I thought there were a few of those lakes on the trek to Ama Dablum. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your links just go to generic Lonely Planet webiste and no easy to find your articles!

    ReplyDelete

Tajikistan

Tajikistan
Classic Pamiri Scenery of Gorno Badakhshan

Current Favourite Track